Thursday, December 18, 2014

Life in the Cemetery

Thursday, December 18, 2014 with 6 comments

Today since I have nothing to review, I thought I would talk a bit about working in a Cemetery. Many of you know I started a new job in the fall. I've mentioned it over and over but I haven't went into detail about it.

Working for a cemetery is "different". I'll be honest, when I started, I thought it was going to be more about paper work, and less about the cemetery. It's not easy. There are some days I just want to come home and cry. Then there are other days where I get to roam the grounds and get great shots like that one above!

I'd have to say the hardest thing for my has been the families. Sometimes they come in upset. Very upset, naturally. I've had to hold back tears myself talking with some of them. Nothing, I mean nothing can prepare you for that. It's been a challenge and I don't think my heart will ever harden or get used to it, but I'm becoming a bit more comfortable. Day by day. Along with the bad comes the good too, though, because I've already become attached to some of our customers.

Also, with a new job comes tons of new responsibilities to learn, and it's overwhelming. Pair that with the Holidays and what you get are posts like these because reading has landed on the back burner. I have hopes that after the New Year, things will settle down.

As of Monday, I've made it to 90 days! 


Woo hoo! Party time! lol. Seriously though, as hard as it can be some days, it's going well so far. My boss is fantastic and my co workers are pretty great. I've learned so much already. Things I would never have known, had I not started working here.

I started reading a book back in early August. I didn't like it and I DNF'd it, but my job has inspired me to give it another go. Soon I hope.

18769271


It's about a girl who sells graves for her family-owned cemetery. I wasn't digging the humor, but I think I may be more invested in it now, just because.. 


Also, I have this one for review that I must get to...

18883231


Why you ask? A hearse on the cover. Duh. I've witnessed a ton of funerals over the past few months, but I have to say the white ones are my favorite. These black ones are classic and all, but the white ones are so pretty. I've always preferred white tuxes over black too. Maybe that has something to do with it. 

But anyway, this book is about a world where everyone knows the day they will die. This poor kid is about to die tomorrow, the day of his prom. I'm really curious how.. I'm gripped, and I'm dying to get reading it. 

haha, dying.. I crack myself up. 

Anyway, that's all I have for you all today. What do you all do for a living? We all talk about books all the time, but never about our careers. 

I'll leave you with a pic of my cemetery in a snow storm. So pretty. 





6 comments:

  1. That sounds like a really interesting job! But really upsetting too, so I'm impressed that you can handle it. I hope you carry on enjoying it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! and it is interesting, never a dull moment, that's for sure. :)

      Delete
  2. Though I don't think I could ever do your job, I'm glad you're enjoying it for the most part. And those *are* great shots. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, it's not for everyone. :) And thank you! Who would have thought a cemetery could look so pretty.

      Delete
  3. Cemeteries are definitely such peaceful places. It was interesting hearing what you do. I'm a bank teller, so boring. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are! I love taking walks out there. It will be nice in spring when I'm not freezing my ass off. lol. And bank tellers are awesome. One of my best friends used to be a teller, That's how I met her. My company used her bank for deposits, and we would talk every day about books while she counted my money. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...